From Unearthing The Music
Eduard Nikolaevich Artemyev (Russian: Эдуа́рд Никола́евич Арте́мьев, IPA: [ɛdʊˈard ɐrˈtʲemʲjɪf]; born 30 November 1937) is a Russian composer of electronic music and film scores. Outside of Russia, he is mostly known for his soundtracks for films such as At Home Among Strangers, Solaris, Siberiade, Stalker and Burnt by the Sun. He was awarded the title People's Artist of Russia in 1999.
Artemyev was born in Novosibirsk and studied at the Moscow Conservatory under Yuri Shaporin. His interest in electronic music and synthesizers began after his graduation in 1960, when electronic music was still in its infancy. He wrote his first composition in 1967, on one of the first synthesizers, the ANS synthesizer developed by the Soviet engineer Evgeny Murzin. He was thus, one of the first electronic composers and a pioneer of electronic music. His collaboration with the film director Andrei Tarkovsky in the 1970s made him well-known. He wrote the film scores of Tarkovsky's Solaris, Zerkalo and Stalker. Later, he also wrote film scores for Andrei Konchalovsky and Nikita Mikhalkov. His film scores and his music received numerous accolades as well as three Nika Awards. He licensed several excerpts from the Solaris soundtrack in order to use them in the Spanish production The Cosmonaut. Eduard Artemyev wrote a few songs, the most famous of them being Deltaplan by Valery Leontiev.
In 2001, he won the Special Silver St. George at the 23rd Moscow International Film Festival.
Eduard Artemyev's composition Campaign or Death of the hero (Siberiade theme) has been used at 2014 Winter Olympics opening ceremony in Sochi, and his music theme from At Home Among Strangers has been used at the closing ceremony.
Film scores (selected)
- Solaris (Солярис, 1972)
- A Very English Murder (Чисто английское убийство, 1974)
- At Home Among Strangers (Свой среди чужих, чужой среди своих, 1974)
- The Mirror (Зеркало, 1975)
- A Slave of Love (Раба любви, 1976)
- An Unfinished Piece for Mechanical Piano (Неоконченная пьеса для механического пианино, 1977)
- Territory (Территория, 1978)
- Stalker (Сталкер, 1979)
- Siberiade (Сибириада, 1979)
- The Bodyguard (Телохранитель, 1979)
- A Few Days from the Life of I.I. Oblomov (Несколько дней из жизни И. И. Обломова, 1980)
- Anna: 6 - 18 (Анна: от 6 до 18, 1980—1993)
- Fox Hunting (Охота на лис, 1980)
- Fairfax's Millions (Миллионы Ферфакса, 1980)
- Family Relations (Родня, 1981)
- The Train Has Stopped (Остановился поезд, 1982)
- Without Witness (Без свидетелей, 1983)
- Moon Rainbow (Лунная радуга, 1983)
- Return from Orbit (Возвращение с орбиты, 1983)
- TASS Is Authorized to Declare... (ТАСС уполномочен заявить..., 1984)
- The Invisible Man (Человек-невидимка, 1984)
- One Second for a Feat (1985)
- Courier (Курьер, 1986)
- Visit to Minotaur (Визит к Минотавру, 1987)
- Zerograd (Город Зеро, 1989)
- Urga (Урга - территория любви, 1991)
- Genius (Гений, 1991)
- Burnt by the Sun (Утомлённые солнцем, 1994)
- The Odyssey (Одиссей, 1997)
- Voyna okonchena. Zabudte... (Война окончена. Забудьте..., 1997)
- The Barber of Siberia (Сибирский цирюльник, 1998)
- As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me (Побег из Гулага, 2001)
- House of Fools (Дом дураков, 2002)
- A Driver for Vera (Водитель для Веры, 2004)
- 12 (2007)
- Gloss (Глянец, 2007)
- The Nutcracker in 3D (Щелкунчик и Крысиный Король, 2009)
- Home (Дом, 2011)
- Branded (Москва 2017, 2011)
- Legend № 17 (Легенда №17, 2013)
- The Postman's White Nights (Белые ночи почтальона Алексея Тряпицына, 2014)
- Sunstroke (Солнечный удар, 2014)
- The Heritage of Love (Герой, 2016)
- "Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 08.01.1999 г. № 36". Kremlin.
- Эдуард Николаевич Артемьев. Peoples.ru. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "23rd Moscow International Film Festival (2001)". MIFF. Archived from the original on 28 March 2013. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "Warmth of Earth". AllMusic. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- "Three Odes". AllMusic. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
Text partially adapted from Wikipedia