From Unearthing The Music
Ivan Feliksovich Sokolovsky (February 10, 1962 - May 15, 2005) is a Soviet and Russian electronic musician, composer and philosopher. He is mainly known as a founding member of Notchnoi Prospekt and Yat-kha, as well as his stint as a member of Tsentr. He is considered one of electronic music's pioneers in Russia.
Sokolovsky graduated from the Faculty of Philosophy of Moscow State University. He is the author of works on post-modernism, post-historicism, and Russian religious philosophy of the late XIX - early XX centuries.
Sokolovsky’s musical career began when he became interested in experiments with sound and electronics. In the early 1980s, he and Alexei Borisov founded Notchnoi Prospekt. Sokolovsky was a member of the group until 1989, and in 2000, after an hiatus, he revived the project with Borisov.
Between 1986 and 1989 recorded several tapes with musicians from Moscow's underground. In 1989, he became a member a member of the experimental music association LAVA.
In 1989, Sokolovsky joined Tsentr. Two years later, in 1991, he created the duo Yat-Kha with Tuvan musician Albert Kuvezin, combining traditional Tuvan music with experimental electronics. The collaboration between Sokolovsky and Kuvezin lasted until the mid-1990s. Later, he would also form a sporadic collaboration with Sergey Letov. In 1993, Sokolovsky founded the label Random Music.
His last performance took place at the Moscow club “Project OGI” on May 2, 2005, where he performed in a trio with Sainkho Namchylak and Sergey Letov. He died of a stroke in intensive care on the night of May 14th 2005. Sergey Letov dedicated his project "Minus Ivan" to his memory.
- 1986 - (Работы разных лет) - Works of different years
- 1987 - (Социализм и любовь) - Socialism and Love
- 1988 - (Моментальное торжество Чёрной живописи) - Instant triumph of Black painting
- 1989 - (Жизнь по-турецки) - Turkish Life
- 1990/1994 - (Река, озеро, море) - River, lake, sea
- 1991 - Pressure: Music For Rich (BSA Records BSA / Stalker-2)
- 1996 - Khan's Afternoon Rest (Five Tracks For Meditation) (EXOTICA)
- 2001 - Regredimur
- Alekseev A. S. Who is who in Russian rock music . - M .: AST: Astrel : Harvest , 2009 .-- S. 452. - ISBN 978-5-17-048654-0 (AST). - ISBN 978-5-271-24160-4 (Astrel). - ISBN 978-985-16-7343-4 (Harvest).
External Links (Russian except where noted)
- Memorial site about the life and work of Ivan Sokolovsky
- Biography, discography, photos and links on the website letov.ru
- Ivan Sokolovsky on zvuki.ru
- The Golden Underground: Ivan Sokolovsky’s article “The End of the Underground” (link not available)
- Biography and discography (English.)
- Interview with Ivan Sokolovsky 2003
- Interview with Arkady FreeMan and Sergey Letov about the Minus Ivan Memorial Project
Text adapted from the Russian Wikipedia