From Unearthing The Music
Vasily Gerardovich Shumov (Russian: Василий Герардович Шумов; born 23 March 1960) is a Russian-American artist, musician, multimedia and experimental artist, short film director and record producer. He is probably best known for his music band Tsentr, which was formed in the Soviet Union and active between the late 1970s and the late 1980s. He is based in Los Angeles, United States since 1990. Shumov created music in a variety of genres including new wave, electronic music and avant-garde music. His vocal style is often a sprechgesang ("spoken singing"), especially on later albums.
Vasily Shumov is the son of Maria Evlakhova and Gerard Shumov. He has a son, Anton, with his first wife, and two children, Angelica and Nikolai, with his second wife, Judith.
Vasily Shumov's career as a musician, producer and songwriter began in the late 1970s in the USSR. He founded the band Tsentr (Center), which originally played rock'n'roll music at the local dancing venue of the Moscow suburbs of Korolyov. In early 80s the band became extremely popular among a youth audience across the USSR, along with other groups of the "rock and roll revival" scene. Up until 1990, Vasily Shumov was active both as Tsentr's frontman and as a solo artist (releasing albums and creating soundtracks, making TV and radio appearances and producing music for fellow musicians and bands, such as Zvuki Mu). In 1990 Shumov moved to Los Angeles (California, United States), where he lived with his family. In LA Vasily shot movies and created numerous multimedia art projects, while experimenting with innovative ways of releasing music through the internet. He also lectured on multimedia art, design and computers.
During the early 2000s, Shumov coordinated the "c-e-n-t-e-r" project, which resulted in a series of episodes where experimental music and videos by many different performers were combined. These so-called "centroborators" contributed to the project through the internet. His film "Kelton's Dark Corner" (starring Paul Marco, directed by Vasily Shumov) was released in January 2006.
- 1986 - My District (Мой район)
- 1990 - Время три (Time Three)
- 1992 - Шумовидение. Песни Живых и Мертвых (Noisevision. Songs of living and dead)
- 1992 - Тектоника(к) (Tectonics)
- 1994 - Голливудский Василек (Vasilyok of Hollywood)
- 1997 - Короли поэзии в трансе (Kings of Poetry in Trance)
- 1998 - Концерт в программе «Живая коллекция» (c группой «НТО Рецепт») (Concert in «Live Collection» broadcast)
- 2000 - Музыка к 4 фильмам (music for 4 films)
- 2000 - Играй сам себя (Play Itself)
- 2001 - Анагра (Аналоговое Гражданство) (Anagra. Analogous Citizenship)
- В.Шумов: «В кризисе всё, в том числе и электронная музыка» - interview for Tektonika.ru, 2005, in Russian
Text adapted from Wikipedia