From Unearthing The Music
Artūras Barysas, born 10.05.1954 (Panevežys, Lithuanian Soviet Socialist Republic), died 27.01.2005 aged 50 (Vilnius, Republic of Lithuania), was a Lithuanian artist.
Under the nickname “Baras”, he was known as a member of Soviet Lithuanian underground counter culture. In the course of his life, he ventured into various artistic fields and was known as a singer with the band Ir Visa Tai Kas Yra Gražu, Yra Gražu, a filmmaker and actor in the movies he directed, as well as a photographer. He was also a passionate collector of books and music records. His artistic legacy is so important that he is acknowledged as the father of the modern Lithuanian avant-garde.
Artūras spent his early life in the city of his birth, Panevežys, before moving to the Lithuanian capital city of Vilnius, with his family as a teenager. He graduated from School No. 22 (now known as Vilniaus Antakalnio gimnazija), where he met a lot of artistic friends, who he enjoyed hanging out with. In 8th grade in 1969, he became part of the filmmaking crowd at the Pioneers’ Palace (Palace of Young Technicians), where his artistic career began.
In 1970, he produced his first film, Alchemy, with help from his school friends and became a member of the Lithuanian Film Amateur Society. After finishing school in Vilnius, he attempted to gain admission to the Moscow Institute of Cinematography, but was rejected because of his acute short-sightedness.
In adulthood he was granted a pension, because of his health disability, and subsisted from state benefits, besides which he sold rare books and Western records to maintain his income. He was an active participant in the Soviet underground culture and lived a bohemian lifestyle. In his later years, he suffered from alcoholism. In 2005 he died in his sleep aged 50.
Main life facts
- 1954: born Artūras Launakojis. Once he moved to live in Vilnius, his mother remarried and he acquired the surname of Barysas.
- 1974-1978: he worked as a methodologist for the Lithuanian Film Amateur Society.
- 1979: the film Her Love (Jos meile) resulted in Barysas being banned from showing his films for a year.
- 1970-1984: he made 40 films of various lengths.
- 1988: together with the artist A. Šlipavičius, he founded the post-avant-garde-punk group And All That Is Beautiful, Is Beautiful (Ir Visa Tai Kas Yra Gražu, Yra Gražu).
- 1989: he played a major role in director Vidmantas Gaigalas’s film Vienturtis.
- 1993: release of the debut album of the group Ir Visa Tai Kas Yra Gražu, Yra Gražu in Lithuania.
- 1995: written in 1995, and eventually published in 2006, Leaning World (Pasviręs pasaulis), a novel by R. Kundrot and A. Liva. The main character is the Magician, a prophet of Arturas Barysas.
- 2000: he made his last film Perception (Suvokimas).
- 2002: a retrospective of Barysas’ films was held at The Horse Hospital, an experimental arts centre in London. The studio album Lavonai was released by the band Ir Visa Tai Kas Yra Gražu, Yra Gražu.
- 2005: on January 27, he died in Vilnius. Buried in the City of Panevežys (at Pašilaičiai Cemetery).
- 2006: at the Lithuanian Alternative Music Awards "A.LT 2005", he is awarded a posthumous prize "For his Contribution to the Stage".
- 2005-2009: four documentaries about Arturas Barysas were made by directors A. Yegorov, D. Mažulis, R. Morkūnas and G. Žickytė.
- 2003: I Dream and Am (Sapnuoju ir esu)
- 2000: Perception (Suvokimas; A. Barysas, Artūras ir Rimas Šlipavičiai, Andrius Radziukynas; 15 min.)
- 1984: Men (Vyrai; A. Barysas, A. Pročkys; lost)
- 1984: Car Incident (Autoavarija; A. Barysas, A. Pročkys; lost)
- 1983: Features to a Portrait of an Artist (Štrichai aktoriaus portretui; A. Barysas, A. Pročkys, V. Blažys; 5 min.)
- 1982: Obvious and Yet Incredible (Akivaizdu, bet neįtikėtina; A. Barysas, A. Pročkys; 6 min.)
- 1982: Two in the Forest (Dviese miške; A. Barysas, G. Zinkevičius, E. Lapinskas; 7 min.)
- 1982: Intellectual Afternoon (Intelektuali popietė; A. Barysas, A. Pročkys; 2 min.)
- 1982: About those Two from There (Apie tuos du iš ten; A. Barysas, Ž. Jelinskas, A. Pročkys; 13 min.)
- 1981: Essay (Esė; A. Barysas, J. Štrengė; 5 min.)
- 1981: Reason (Prasmė; A. Barysas, J. Čergelis, A. Pročkys; 4 min.)
- 1981: Applause Lingers a Moment (Aplodismentai trunka akimirką; A. Barysas, A. Pročkys; 8 min.)
- 1980: He's Wanted (Jo ieško; A. Barysas, A. Slavinskas, J. Čergelis, A. Pročkys, A. Vaitkus, A. Kulikauskas, G. Zinkevičius; 38 min.)
- 1980: We (Mes; A. Barysas, A. Pročkys, A. Slavinskas, E. Lapinskas; 8 min.)
- 1979: Documentary Film (Dokumentalnij film; A. Barysas, J. Čergelis; 3 min.)
- 1979: Better than Paradise, Worse than Hell (Geriau už rojų, blogiau už pragarą; A. Barysas, A. Slavinskas, J. Čergelis; 3 min.)
- 1979: Her Love (Jos meilė; A. Barysas, A. Slavinskas, J. Čergelis, A. Rečiūnas; 25 min.)
- 1979: A Day of Centuries (Diena iš šimtmečių; A. Barysas, A. Rečiūnas; 10 min; neišlikęs)
- 1978: Snow (Sniegas; A. Barysas, A. Vaitkus, J. Čergelis, A. Slavinskas; 3 min.)
- 1978: A Joke about a Meter (Anekdotas apie metrą; A. Barysas, A. Vaitkus; 2 min.)
- 1978: To Speak Only Truth (Sakyti tik tiesą; A. Barysas, D. Buklis; 3 min.)
- 1978: B and Ch (B ir Č; A. Barysas, J. Čergelis; 12 min.)
- 1978: Fifteenth Time (Penkioliktą kartą; lost)
- 1977: This Sweet Word (Tas saldus žodis; A. Barysas, D. Velička; 1 min.)
- 1977: Rimas, Renata, Romas (A. Barysas, A. Vaitkus; 4 min.)
- 1975: Those Who Don't Know Should Ask Those Who Know (Tie, kurie nežinote, paklauskite kitų; A. Barysas, S. Mackonis, J. Čergelis, A. Slavinskas; 5 min.)
- 1975: Stay on our Slope (Pasibūkit mūsų kloniuos; lost)
- 1974: I Vote for Love (Balsuoju už meilę; A. Barysas, J. Čergelis; 5 min.)
- 1974: A Thin One (Laina; A. Barysas, J. Čergelis; 6 min.)
- 1974: Green Meadow (Žalias laukas; A. Barysas, J. Čergelis; 1 min.)
- 1972: Two Times Two (Du kart du; A. Barysas, D. Buklys, R. Vikšraitis; 4 min.)
- 1972: Victims of Fashion (Madų aukos; A. Barysas, D. Buklys; 6 min.)
- 1972: A Golden Fish (Auksinė žuvelė; lost)
- 1972: Citius, altius, fortius (lost)
- 1972: The Earth, Planet of Humans (Žemė – žmonių planeta; lost)
- 1971: Salt and Apples (Druska ir obuoliai; A. Barysas, D. Buklys, S. Šimkus; 3 min.)
- 1971: Falling (Kritimas; A. Barysas, D. Buklys, S. Šimkus; 3 min.)
- 1971: I Hit the Target (Kliudžiau; lost)
- 1970: To Live (Gyventi; A. Barysas, D. Buklys, S. Šimkus; lost)
- 1970: Alchemy (Alchemija; A. Barysas, Donatas Buklys, Sigitas Šimkus; 3 min.)