From Unearthing The Music
Juraj Ďuriš (born in 1954) is a Slovakian composer and radio sound engineer. He graduated from the Slovak Technical University in 1978 where he studied experimental physics, and since then he has been working at the Experimental Studio of Radio Bratislava. As of 1992, he's become the programme director of the studio as well as an expert on electroacoustic and computer music. He attended private composition classes with composers Víťazoslav Kubička and Milan Adamčiak. He teaches at the Academy of Performing Arts in Bratislava and is a jury member of several international competitions. Ďuriš is also the main organizer of the annual presentation of experimental music – the Festival of Electroacoustic Music – held in Bratislava.
His compositions are often based in the transformation of sound objects (musical and non-musical sources) into complicated contrapuntal structures of musical time. His initial interest in electroacoustic music was later extended by the reflection of experimental production and creation of multimedia projects in collaboration with painter Miloš Boďa – an interactive installation Hammerschlag '91, a multimedia installation (laser and music) Hundred Times Victory at Symposium Laser Art Work, and Symbiosis Art and Technology.
- 1973 – 1978 - Department of Nuclear Physics of the Technical University in Bratislava (experimental electrophysics)
- since 1978 - Sound master at the Experimental Studio of the Slovak Radio in Bratislava
- 1978 – 1980 - private studies in composition with Víťazoslav Kubička
- since 1992 - Programme adviser and specialist for electroacoustic and computer music of the Experimental Studio of the Slovak Radio in Bratislava
- 1991 – 2003 - Member of international juries Concorso Internazionale "Luigi Russolo", Varese, Italy
- 1995 – 2005 - Member of international juries Musica Nova, Prague, Czech Republic; IREM (International Rostrum of Electroacoustic Music) Helsinki '94, Amsterdam '96, Roma 2004; SPACE '96, Stockholm
- 2005 - Member ARS Austica workgroup European Broadcasting Union, TauKay Udine and PRIX EUROPA 2006
- Currently - Director of the Creative Center and Experimental Studio of Slovak Radio, chairman of Centre for Electroacoustic and Computer Music in Bratislava and teacher at the Academy of Performing Arts in Bratislava